Re: Permanency of VDB (test) (becoming OT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 11:44
Subject: Re: Permanency of VDB (test) (becoming OT)

> Thanks for giving me the chance to say I DON'T USE A CLOTHES DRYER, either
> -- anyone drops in will find clothes hanging in the hall. In winter it
> helps humidify as the steam heat is very drying.

Yes and if you're us and they hang in the kitchen, you often go out to work
smelling of fried onions.......

> I guess we all have to make our peace with our consciences on these
> issues. I gather that except for *automobiles* we as "cottage industry" do
> are a mere blip as compared to pollution of industry...
>
> As for wash water --it helps focus the mind if your water is metered at
> fairly high rates as ours is. Hypo clear does (according to my tests
> anyway) cut wash time by half... During desperate water shortages I salved
> my conscience, by -- I'm not making this up -- taking the runoff in pails
> and using it to flush toilets.  But David Vestal, among others, have shown
> that the wash with just a tiny trickle over a longer period in a vertical
> washer is every bit as effective...

I agree with all that. Water abstraction is actually a major issue which
causes a great deal of damage. It certainly does round here anyway. While we
are as you say, relatively innocent compared to industry, using efficient
wash methods is something we should all encourage. And even though I have a
weakness for Jaguars, I console myself by saying that I continue to lavish
(excessive) care and attention on a couple of elderly cats who have long
outlived most of their litters, thus saving the colossal environmental havoc
which would be wreaked by having a _new_ car buiilt for me.

On the topic of high-tech solutions, my wife and I have a house in France
(as you may know). The water there comes from a spring and the commune
collects it. The storage tank used to be a 19th C one, very old, probably a
bit leaky, made of 100-year old concrete that was probably porous, but the
water was _wonderful_. You could have bottled it and flogged it. Then the
council got a grant from the Govt and put in a brand new tank made of brand
new concrete and guess what- the water now is _disgusting_ and we all have
to pay double the water rate _as well as_ having to buy drinking water in
bottles....(mutter mutter mutter very darkly indeed).

BTW I have not forgotten about subscription- life is just complicated this
week!

Rod