Re: Shared learning experience on albumen

>Jeffery said:

>However, the following has been posted more than once to the alt-photo
>list and I feel represents the other side of my point.
>
>Richard Sullivan wrote:
> > ... Thanks for signing up at the B+S Alt Photo Circle webboard. If you
> haven't
><Snip>

My search of my archives show that that did not go to the List but was sent
to you because you filled out a "Contact Form" on the B+S web site. This
form is designed to allow folks to be put on our email list and be kept up
on events. I will remove your name from that list.

If by chance the alt photo list address is in one of my contact files, I
will try to find it and remove it. I never intended to post these mailings
to the list.

I also have to disagree with Jeffery's contention that the Alt Photo Circle
is another "List." It does support email but that is only a small subset of
its features. However unlike a "List," you can email subscribe or
unsubscribe at the web site to any of the various conferences, or if you
wish, you can participate through your browser on-line. If you participate
on-line the conversations are threaded. Our "Conferences" are "Hosted"
which greatly cuts down on the squabble factor which has been a major issue
here. All off topic subjects can be dealt with in the Coffee House
Conference. Conferences can also be private. If you make a mistake in your
post you can edit it later and correct it. Each Conference has "chat room"
capability. People can post images to the Conference and yes, really post
them and not just point to them on another web site, thus you do not need
to have access to a web site to post images. These last three features have
allowed us to hold classes on-line. The two classes we've had have been
quite successful and we are planning two more in the Fall.

I am also open to proposals from anyone here who would be interested in
doing an on-line class. We charge a small fee and the teacher gets some
remuneration. The fee is only to keep people honest and is hardly a profit
center for B+S.

Thus in the Webboard software we have quite a powerful tool at our disposal
and we have only begun to scratch the surface of what can be done. It's all
very new and open to inventive new uses. We will win some and lose some,
but there won't be any gain unless we try.

Let me explain what a "Shared Learning Experience" might be as there seems
to be some confusion over this. People will be able to sign up on-line to
participate in what will be an informal group-guided class. Those that sign
up will be able to post in the Albumen Conference, those that don't can
read the posts but not post themselves. Those that sign up will be in some
sense committed to actually working in Albumen. Those that don't can watch
but not clutter up the conversations. Periodically, probably once or twice
a week, there will be a chat session open to all. Some folks may have
previously posted images to the conference for comments.

Chat, email, on-line posting, image posting capability, conferences private
and public, and moderators all add up to quite a different "experience"
than what can be provided by a Listserve group.

--Dick Sullivan

www.bostick-sullivan.com

http://sirius.secureforum.com:8080/~bostick/login

Note address change!