Re: rubylith

> But Dave, if that has got some thickness of its own, doesn't it interfere
>  with good contact, holding sandwich off the glass? it wouldn't do that
>  with vacuum frame, but I would expect some softening otherwise...

Hi Judy,

Yes, it does have some thickness, but it doesn't seem to affect anything
visible.... maybe it is because when I use it, it is actually away from the
border already. Let me try to describe:

I usually do my interpositive with a 4-blade easel, so there is clear border
on the interpos. When I enlarge again or contact to make negative, I get
black border, so if my cropping is what I like in the interpos, I don't use
the mask. However, sometimes (especially for test purposes) I put a step
tablet on the border of interpos (slightly away from the image), so it get to
the negative too. When I make test print, the step tablet get printed too,
but when I want to make the final print, I mask the step tablet with the
vinyl thing. That the area is already away from the image is probably the
reason why the thickness doesn't affect much, if at all.

I am not sure if there will be some visible bluriness along the edges if one
uses it to directly mask an area of the image, but I just realized that most
of my images are close-ups of something with the background out of focus
already, so a slight blur on that won't affect anything.

Dave Soemarko