Re: Two days with PT/PD

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/13/00-11:14:12 AM Z

Nick Makris wrote:
> ... Cranes Platinotype ... inspect the surface for
> imperfections ... I found 20% rejects.

I rarely get defects with this paper. You've got a bad batch or
something bad has happened to it.

> How does outdated #! & #2 ferric oxalate affect the resulting print?

I do not know what you mean by #! and #2, but if there is contrast agent
mixed in, the sensitizer may be have unpredictable results and may "go
bad" quicker than typical.

> ... My work area has a fairly consistant RH of 65-72% - rain or shine. What
> is optimum?

It depends on what materials you are using and what results you wish.
One RH setting is not optimum for every situation.

> How long after coating/drying is acceptable to leave the coated stock
> unused and how should it be stored?

Carl makes some good points. I have found that coatings can give the
same results after sitting an hour. I have found that the coating will
definitely deteriorate after sitting four hours no matter how it is
stored. I do not know what happens between one and four hours.

> ... I like the color and surface texture of the Cranes 90# cover (aka
> Platinotype) ...
> Would someone recommend a substitute and a source for it?

Every paper is unique and may vary batch to batch. There is no
substitute. Try testing several papers (from an art supply store) that
have similar color and texture.
My Guide lists serveral papers that work and may not work.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/