Re: Ilford film high fog/film base density

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 02/09/00-10:21:06 AM Z

>"Dan Smith, Photographer" wrote:
>
>> In developing various Ilford films I find they have a very high film
>> base/fog density. With so many using Pyro to get staining I wonder if the
>> high base density might act in a similar manner?

I presume by the last sentence you mean to ask if the high base denisty of
Ilford films would act the same as Pyro stain. If so, the answer is no
because high base stain is general whereas Pyro stain is proportional to
silver density, least in the shadows, greatest in the highlights.

BTW, it is not my experience that Ilford films have a b+f density that is
significantly higher than that of other films. With both pyrogallol and
pyrocatechin staining developers the b+f I get with both FP4+ and HP5+ is
no greater than about .06-.13, not particulary high in my opinion. Perhaps
your film has developed some fog from aging, or from heat?

Sandy King