Re: scanning/ was Re: negative damage

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/03/00-02:15:03 AM Z

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Les Newcomer wrote:

> I took a 16" stainless steel ruler and taped it to the top of the
> cover of the scanner. I then placed a 1" wide roll of tape so it fell
> on the 10" mark. The ruler now runs on an incline at 1/10" per inch on
> the ruler. i.e.: the 5 inch mark is .5" off the glass. I scanned it a
> 400% and then viewed it on my sreen in Photo shop at 100%.
>
> Results: The 0 mark was nice and crisp. The 1" mark had a shadow on it
> (engraved ruler reflection) but still looked sharp. the 1.5" mark had
> lost the distiction between the shadow and the black mark itself.
>
> Conclusion: My scanner has a rough depth of field of .1 to .15" above the glass.
> Beyond that it's a portrait scanner

Les, that's absolutely ingenious... THANK YOU ! So I measured the frames
that came with the scanner to hold the negatives -- they're 1/8th inch
thick. Assuming the negative sits in the middle of them it would be held
at 1/16th inch height, which, tho I don't mentally turn fractions into
decimals while typing and chewing gum, seems within the 1/10th inch depth
of field you posit.... Still, not a lot of leeway is there?

Judy