Re: colour neg scan

From: Mats Broberg (mbroberg@swipnet.se)
Date: 04/12/00-12:53:18 PM Z

Tox Gunn wrote:

> I happened to glance in mid-thread, so if this completely off the mark,
> I apologize.
>
> The observation from last post:
> I would expect this to be somewhat subjective, and a battle between the
> resolving power of the lens vs. the detail frequency in the subject material
> *that one is trying to reproduce*

I don't agree that resolution in optical and/or electronic systems is
subjective - on the contrary, I believe it is a very well-defined
concept. What I agree to though, is that some people might not be
*interested* in using or taking the advantage of top-notch scanning or
photographic resolution - but that's another issue.

Whether you take a completely out-of-focus picture or not, the resolving
power in the photographic emulsion is the same. Scan this out-of-focus
picture @ 300 dpi and the resolution of your scan is the same as if you
had scanned a picture where all objects were in focus.

Mats Broberg