Re: Black specks in Arches platine

TalCshare@aol.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:46:17 -0400 (EDT)

Black specks used to plague my printing intermittently, particularly with
Arches platine. After trying all of the usual means to eliminate them I
recently discovered that my Scottish ancestry was to blame for most of my
problems. I have used distilled water except for the final print wash and
blot the prints dry before screen drying. Unfortunately despite a 5 micron
filter and iron control salt in my water conditioner I still have microscopic
particles of iron in my well water and they tend to settle on the finished
print. That hasn't been a problem except that when I then use the blotter
towels a second time to clean my brush, mixing shot glass and coating rod it
intermittently transfers the minute particles and thus either occasional or
showers of black spots! This problem has disappeared since I have been using
fresh paper towels for clean up (and they are a lot cheaper than Arches).
There is a gremlin around every corner!

Regards,

Meredith