Re: Scanning large negatives

FotoDave@aol.com
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 00:40:22 -0500 (EST)

> I have some large negatives (7X17 and 12X20 size) that I would like to
> scan, do some corrective work on, and print new negatives in the same size
> as the original for contact printing. Any advice on what equipment
> (scanners, printers, etc.) that I could use for this task would be
> appreciated.

Hi Sandy,

For scanning, you can use a desktop scanner with a transparency adapter. I
use Agfa's Arcus II. When I bought it a couple of years ago, it was
considered a high-end desktop scanner with good sharpness, low noise to
signal ratio, high dynamic range; but nowadays with competition and maybe
maturity of technology, I think the cheaper models or brands can probably do
as well though I haven't used other brand much at all.

Later Agfa came out with DuoScan which is even one step higher, but I forgot
what the main difference is. It might be resolution. Arcus II can scan at 600
dpi optical resolution. Since you are interested in same size output, 600 dpi
is high enough. Even 300 dpi is already enough for that.

However, the maximum scan size is 8.5 x 14, which is smaller than your
negative. But if you do it right, you can combine them well seamlessly.
Picture Publisher has a nice "stitch" (the spelling doesn't look right, but
oh well) function that does that automatically, and it is nice; but you can
do that yourself manually too. I have an article from PEI (Photo Electronic
Imaging) that describes it nicely, but I threw all PEI's away when I moved
recently. If you find you need some help/info on that in the future, just
email me and I will try to describe.

For output, there has been some discussion in the past. You can do
imagesetter output (rasterized to dots), LightJet or LVT output (continuous
tone). If you are considering buying the equipment, you might consider a film
recorder with 4x5 back, but then you have to go through postive and enlarged
negative again....

Dave S