Re: Liquid Gelatine

From: Garet Denise (garet@rmi.net)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 06:13:37 /etc/localtime

-----Original Message-----
From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>

>Garet, did someone steal your Post-Factory #1? (More favored of thieves
>than red Ferraris.) Gelatin sizing is covered in EXQUISITE detail)... also
>(and MANY times) on this list

Yup, got the PF and have looked extensivly in the archives (no drum roll or
cimbals, please). I thought I would try several different sizing methods
which have been suggested and see which works best *for me*. Then I said
"Why not try several different papers while I'm at it?" The project has
sort-of snow balled to the point where I'm doing lots of testing but not
much else.

>Meanwhile what is "liquid gelatin"? Is it liquid at room temperature?
>In which case.... hmmmm.

Yes, liquid at room temperature. "Normal" gelatine (Knox, etc.) comes from
mammal bones (typically cows I believe) and gels at something like about 30
to 35 deg. C. Norland's "HiPure" gelatine is derived from coldwater fish
skin (processing plant near fisheries in Nova Scotia). It is deionized
during processing and gels at 5 to 10 deg. C.

I haven't gotten my sample yet, so I don't know quite what it will be like.
They say it is 45% solids in water, so it sounds fairly thick. I suspect
it will need some thinning with water in order to make a solution which
will easily drain off of paper from a dunk bath. Or it may make more sense
to try to coat it on with a brush or the like. What I haven't figured out
is: If its gel point is below room temperature, will it disolve into the
water of a glyoxal bath when I attempt to harden it? Thus the thought of
adding glyoxal to the gelatine before placing it on the paper.

>Why not try it & add to the sum total of human knowledge?

I'll keep you posted.

Garet Denise
garet@rmi.net