red spots, Pd, and Lenox

Keith Schreiber (jkschreiber@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 02:26:01 -0700

Last year there was a discussion about spots on Pt/Pd prints and Eric
Neilsen wrote the following:

>The little black specs I have passed off as impurities in the chemicals
>or paper, or both. The BIG black spots, as on the Beinfang print can be
>imperfections in the paper that allow the solution to "puddle" on that
>spot. And the red spots that I have seen are from the rubber rollers of
>the paper making process.

I have just encountered red spots for the first time and am wondering if
this is speculation or certainty, and does anyone know exactly what they
are. I am printing palladium developed in K oxalate and cleared in
sulfite/EDTA.

The spots don't appear (or at least I haven't noticed them) until well into
the wash phase. The paper I'm using is the last of a batch of Lenox
purchased in '96 from Daniel Smith. Up to now it has worked beautifully, but
today 3 of 3 prints on it have red spots.

Any ideas are much appreciated. Eric? anyone else?

Regards to all,
Keith