Mortensen on Bromoil

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 23:47:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 arkins@banet.net wrote:

> Gene:
>
> I think there was a Camera Craft article by Mortensen in the late 1930's
> "Factors in Bromoil Inking" or something to that effect. I will check
> further for you, if you like.
>
> Joe Arkins

Joe, I'd love to know if you find that. I have a recollection of something
along those lines, but a quick flip didn't locate it. However, I do have
the Mortensen essay from Dec. '41 Camera Craft:

"The Cart and the Horse: The Ditherings of An Unregenerate Romantic"

This is a defense of bromoil in particular, and that style of printing in
general... Also, "It is necessary to remind the progressives that their
beloved glossy print is basically just another 'process', possibly not
'quaint,' but certainly older than bromoil and some other processes
practiced by us funny old Romantics."

Further on: "Weston, I am sure, feels no limitations in the medium
that he uses. Glossy prints & small apertures best express the static
patterns that he finds most significant." I loved that line, one of those
quoted in the Mortensen article...

If you're just looking for M. on bromoil, by the way, I THINK I recall a
chapter in one of his books. When I get a moment (ie., off e-mail!) I'll
check...

Judy