Re: Diatamaceous earth

Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 11:48:10 -0700

>I don't know if any of these choices are still available or would work but
>for what it is worth:
>
>At least here in the US diatamaceous earth is available in rather large
>sacks from swiming pool supply coumpanies. It is used to pack the water
>filters in some systems. You might be able to obtain some in small
>quantities if they have an open sack around.
>
>Furriers use diatamaceous earth to clean furs. In that form the product is
>called fullers earth. I've bought small containers of the stuff from a
>pharmacy (chemists) but that was years ago.

Is Diatomatceous earth what was once know as "Tripoli"?

In the early literature, Tripoli was used to prepare Daguerreotype
plates prior to scouring with Rotten Stone. I have seen this
material described as a siliceous mineral imported from Tripoli.
Anyone?

I've also wondered if this material could be used as an
abrasive slurry for developing direct-carbon prints.

-Phillip