Re: further adventures with Rising/Zia

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 07:52:28 -0500

Darryl,

Mine is from Smith, and I have no way of comparing to anything else. But
with paper, one of the big frustrations is that stuff from the same
source with the exact same designation doesn't always print the same
because the "formula" that matters to the manufacturer didn't have us in
mind and may contain allowable variables that kill us. And if the stuff
*looks* different, believe me, it *is* different. The 'white' rather
than 'natural' version of the Cranes paper often called Platinotype is
dramatically different in chemical response to platinum printing.
Totally different reaction to humidity, enormously different contrast.
Not in any way caused by being a little bit whiter. If there's more than
one similar but not quite the same "bristol" from Rising, odds are that
all bets are off.

I'm tempted to, and may even decide to, place an enormous order right
now before the stuff has a chance to change--at least enough so I could
potentially complete editions of shots I really like printed on it.

---Carl