Re: Trials and Tribulations of the Digital Neg.

jewelia (jewelia@erols.com)
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 01:49:22 -0800

just to be judiciously fair and to throw in my own few scents for free which
may be more what its worth--i'll point out that there are other differences
between the sun, nuarcs, and lightbanks besides how they behave as point
sources or not. it would be my guess that charles is right to say that he
sees differences but i suspect that keith is right to say that there are no
discernible differences between the printing of a point source and what i'll
call for the moment a plane source instead of a light bank. what i suspect
is more the cause of the differences some people see is the different 1)
spectral ranges and 2) intensity or energy delivered at the print surface by
the lamps. to really distinguish whether or not it was due to the
"geometric arrangement" area of the lamp relative to the printing surface
would not one have to conduct more controlled experiments say printing as
per usual with a light bank for one print then moving that light bank far
enough away such that it for all practical purposes is a point source while
at the same time being able to crank up the energy such that the exposure
time was nearly the same---which i doubt is exactly practical to do--but
hey--do what you gotta do--me i gotta print.

the happy news is that while we can quibble all day about this--no worry--as
long as you're happy with the light source you've got and what you make with
it. i know i am.

hey--doesn't anybody else work all night?

jewelia margueritta Cameroon
jewelia@erols.com
from the points of my 2 am light bank