Re: Kallitype

Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:38:07 -0700

Judy,

Sorry for taking some time to get back to you. I lost a fight between a
crab leg and steak knife resulting in a couple of fingers being splinted.
This makws typing a bit tedious. Anyway...

Your e-mail was rather long, so I will try to keep my response short.

I noticed the smell from selenium toner no matter where I was living at the
time. The exception was when we were living in New Mexico. We were on
really nice well water in NM. For the record, we have been in three cities
in NY, Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, ol' Virgini and finally Arizona. Oh,
did I fail to mention that I am talking about Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner
and not something made from scratch? I don't know if that really matters.

Yes, old Oriental Seagull toned beautifully. Brovira (which I miss badly)
toned easily. The Brovira did not show a color change, per se. Brovira in
selenium went neutral with increased depth in the deep blacks and the
whites brightened nicely. The toning of Brovira added some nice snap to the
final image.

you wrote:

>...few tests (as I recall), but for what it's worth, the kalli >toned
WONDERFULLY in palladium, or maybe it was pl-pd (if someone >cares I'll try
to find it). Made a lovely, quite black, strong >color. If I'd kept doing
kalli that would have been toner of >choice.

I never toned a Kalli with pt or pd. I guess that I felt that if I was
going to go that far with the expense of the more exotic metals, I may as
well make a pt/pd print.

>I didn't try sulphide (& I assume the "sepia" is a sulphide of some
>sort?) with either medium because I was trying to modify the brown >color.
 Other attempted modifications didn't work -- except blue >toner...

I'll dig up the formula for you, if you wish. The sulfide toner does
produce a sepia color on kallis and salted paper. Again, I never played
with VDB, but I can't see why it would not work.

>Joe -- on second thought, what is that *smell* like? Maybe my >cellar
just smells that way already?

Judy, I hope not! The smell that I get is very reminicent of hydrogen
sulfide...rotten eggs.

Joe