Re: Paper for Oil Printing

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:53:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/26/99 6:30:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> mckinnm@host1.swosu.edu writes:
>
> > Dave, I used it in the size to add tooth. I missed that you were using the
> > starch in the emulsion; sorry, but I don;t see why it woudn't work in place
> > of the poatato starch in the emulsion.
>
> Michael, don't say sorry. The information that you shared is very useful to me
> as I also do gum and have wanted to try adding starch or other "tooth" to the
> size. Specifically, I think that adding starch to acrylic medium might work.
> When I get to it, I will let you (and the list) know.

Dave, let me suggest that you run tests of this added "tooth" against a
test of plain size alone, to be sure it's having an effect. Some years ago
I tried starch, dextrin, diatomacious earth (or anyway two grades of
something made by Johns-Manville called Diatomite Functional Filler), and
a nice old rotted plaster of Paris (+ some others I forget), in an attempt
to add "tooth" to gelatin for something or other I was trying with gum.
They had little or no effect, although I imagine variables of the gelatin
& paper might also work differently.

Judy