Re: brush development

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:37:34 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 3/24/99 2:12:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, jseigel@panix.com
writes:

> Rocking is also a problem if you want a lot of solution, as for Dave
> Soemarko's low contrast interpos... Too full to rock.

Hi Judy,

When I wrote the article, I didn't have enough time to test the capacity, so I
thought I would be conservative and use more solution. I have since used less
than half the solution and it didn't give me any mottling problem, so I would
say about 300-400 ml per 8x10 negative would be very sufficient. That will
also allow for good, continuous, and almost vigorous agitation which will
ensure evenness.

But one thing that I probably didn't explain it well in the article is that
the main philosophy and goal (and maybe beauty of) the LC-1 developer is that
one can choose the amount of solution that gives them the best and most
comfortable agitation, and then alter the contrast by changing the alkaline.

For example, one might use 300ml solution but find that contrast is still way
too high. Doubling or tripling the dilution will make it 600 or 900 ml, which
is too full for good agitation. One can, instead of dilution, add stock B,
which will lower the contrast.

Another example is, say the contrast range of the positive or negative is
about right, but there is some sign of mottling. Then one needs to add stock
A, but that will increase contrast, so one might need to increase dilution,
but that creates the problem of too much solution again, so instead, one
should add stock A (too give more developing agents) AND some stock B (to
reduce contrast).

Dave S