Re: Making silver nitrate was Argyrotype chemistry

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:59:41 -0700

Silver nitrate is not easy to make. The formula is pretty simple but you
are dealing with a fast oxidizing reaction that can easily get our of
control. It also produces a mixture of nitric gasses which are deadly in
small quantities. If it don't kill you, you may luck out with a just bad
case of emphysema. If this is not enough warning, let me say that I used to
make it, and I made a tidy profit making it, but after a couple of
incidents, I now no longer make it myself. No one on the list has ever
accused me of being a scardy cat, quite the opposite.

It ain't worth it. Skip the silver stuff and go pt/pd, it's cheaper than a
new pair of lungs.

--Dick Sullivan

At 07:28 PM 3/10/99 +1300, you wrote:
>I have major difficulty getting silver nitrate because of bureacratic
>restrictions on general sales of chemicals. The cost too is way over the
>top.
>
>How do I make it easily ? I can get nitric, sulphuric, hydrochloric acids
>and sod hydroxide readily and I expect silver metal. My basic chemistry's a
>bit rusty but I still remember the basic of filtration & titration etc..
>
>As Ware suggests silver oxide is there a quick route to prepare that other
>than going through the nitrate ?
>
>Kevin O'Brien
>(Where our sheep have infiltrated the bureacrazies)

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com