Re: Reversal Neg. contrast control

Kevin O'Brien (kob@paradise.net.nz)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 22:18:20 +1300

Is APH really a contone film in disquise, with a short, steep, curve or a
process film (AKA line film), for use with half-tone screens ?

Some half-tone films may yield grays with modified processing but the
resulting tonal scale is not likely to satisfy anyone needing the sort of
gradation expected in a fine, long scale, print. Even getting a suitable
short scale, for some purposes, may be impossible. I see from current posts
that others are repeating my past trials and tribulations searching for the
elusive exposure or development.

I found I had to adapt the print to the tonality of the processed and
manipulated film. Doing that, after choosing the right visual material as
well, the prints worked. Half-tone is not a substitute for contone. For fine
gradation, long scale, contact negatives I believe contone is essential.
Alternatively, which is what we into here, the digital output to film looks
very promising.

Kevin O'Brien