Re: negative puzzle

Michael Desjarlais (mpdesja@swcp.com)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:05:36 -0700

Chris,

  If you continue to have problems and you determine that the problem is
indeed with your cold light head, you might decide to try a relatively
simple fix before spending money on a new enlarger. A few years back I
had a similar problem with a Zone VI cold light head and fixed the
problem by projecting the cold light image to size (i.e. 1:1) on a sheet
of high contrast film and then developed it to give what I called a
contrast mask for the cold light head. The negative, after processing,
is inserted into the cold light head in the proper orientation to smooth
out the uneveness in tone. Unlike your experience, I also saw problems
in the prints. E-mail me off list if you would like my notes on how to
do this. Others have tried this trick with good success.

-Mike Desjarlais