Re: Hypersensitize me up scottie!

Keith Schreiber (stillpoint@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:54:19 -0700

My cousin is an astronomer - the Levy half of the team Schumaker-Levy that
has discovered a bunch of comets including the one that plowed into Jupiter
a couple years ago. Anyhow, I had heard David mention "hypering" his films
on several occasions and had wondered how it worked. They use "hypered" Tech
Pan and a typical exposure runs 8-10 minutes on the telescope we used on the
night I visited last week.

The following is a quote from "The Film Developing Cookbook" by Anchell and
Troop (p.93):

    Gas-hypering has been dramatically successful with Kodak 2415 (Tech Pan)
and other contemporary monochrome and color films. Before exposure, the film
is soaked in a forming gas mixture of 92% nitrogen and 8% hydrogen for
several hours. The hypersensitization effect can last for years if the film
is properly stored (earlier hypersensitization techniques only worked for a
few hours). Astronomers, working with exposures that may run into the hours,
report reliable and dramatic speed increases as well as reduced reciprocity
failure with long exposures. For example, with gas hypered film a night sky
photograph that would formerly take four hours can now be made in 30 minutes
or less. With conventional exposures, shorter than one second, the maximum
speed increase you can expect is one stop ....

Hope this helps,
Keith