Re: Digtal Proofing

DanPhoto@aol.com
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:42:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi Again Carl,

Yes, all my images start as 35mm. Other people make wonderful images with
large format. I don't. And with a wink I'll acknowledge those readers
(Hal) who are saying, "he don't do so good with a little bitty camera
either." Ha!

And I HATE making traditional silver proof sheets!

 I now scan the sheets of 35mm negs on an inexpensive flatbed scanner
with a transparency adapter and print the inkjet proofs on an Epson. Of
course, you can't use a loupe to examine these printed proof sheets
(well, you could but you'd only see ink dots instead of more image
detail). I only use proof sheets for design and content information. For
close detail inspection I'll go to the negative itself. Yes, you could
save a higher resolution scan of the negative sheet and examine each
frame greatly enlarged on screen. That might be useful for some; I prefer
leafing through the printed pages and then looking at the negative
itself. I spend enough time staring at a computer screen!

Another thing I do is use the inkjet printer for "proofing" images as I
work on them. You'd think that after so many years I'd be better at
judging the on-screen image...but I'm not. I'm constantly fooled by the
damn glowing phosphors! Printing the image on the Epson and evaluating
the print by reflected light lets me see what the image "really" looks
like. This helps a visual invalid like me make better judgment calls on
tonality and contast!

 Remember Carl, black and white QuickCams can be had for a song now!

Hope this helps!

Dan

In your email you stated...