Re: Film Stabiliser

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:07:21 -0500

At 04:40 PM 1999/01/18 -0500, "FotoDave" wrote:

>My stablizer & replenisher from KODAK simply lists the following chemicals:
>
>Part A:
>formaldehyde (50-00-0)
>methanol (67-56-1)
>water (7732-18-5)
>
>Part B:
>Organo Silicone
>
>I have always thought that if I needed formaldehyde but couldn't buy it
>easily, I could use the C-41 stablizer, part A since I assume the methanol is
>simply for increasing the drying time?

Methanol is wood alcohol, and is used to "stabilize" the formaldehyde.
Enough of it in an aqueous solution would decrease, not increase, drying
time, as it is very volatile. Drying should be done in an open area, as
both formaldehyde and methanol are irritating to mucous membranes and
especially the eyes.

>Also, does anyone know what the numbers behind the chemical could possibly
>mean? I am not sure if they are simply their internal part number or if they
>something chemically.

They are probably (I haven't checked) the International Identifying
numbers. Chemicals (especially common names) are not named identically in
every country, so numbers are used to prevent misidentification.

<<sil>>
<silh@iag.net>
<webmaster@psa-photo.org>
Sil Horwitz, FPSA