Re: (gum&longivety) stability of dichromate

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:12:15 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Cor Breukel wrote:
> ..when I made my solution of Potassium Dichromate I wanted a saturated
> solution, so I weighted more dichromate than was possible to get into
> solution and stirred. So I now have a truly saturated solution of Pot.
> Dichromate (with crystals on the bottom). Providedd that I keep the
> temperature of the solution constant (it more or less is), and do not
> put my pipet on the bottom, this should work. Or not?
> (as I posted before: just starting..;-)..)

As a matter of fact Cor, you walk in the steps of the greats of the golden
age of gum: It was common to put a pound of dichromate in a bottle, pour
water over it, and stir, letting the undissolved residue settle to the
bottom. Solution was removed as needed; when it got low, more water was
added, ad infinitum.

So this bodes well for your future in gum. The down side would be slight
changes in strength with changes in ambient temperature.

Judy