Re: Know the Stops

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:15:38 +0000

Greetings-

Mr Maxey wrote:

>A a device that use's precisely controlled air pressure and magnetics, to
>direct drops of pigment to a final support layer.

Perhaps in this statement lies some insight:

For me photography is about *light-sensitive materials.* My own interest
lies more closely to the sensitized surface than to things "photographic"
per se.

"Alternate," to my way of thinking, is more a "main-stream" issue. It also
implys to me, "handcrafted." It suggests to me unique and individual
prints where the process itself is allowed a voice. Therefore, I don't
necessarily understand "alternate" to be in comparison to silver-based
materials.

I have found it useful to keep in mind that lithography and etching (for
instance) are both printmaking processes: they both rely upon inks laid
upon paper supports; they are often taught and practiced in the same
studios, often by the same practioners. However, they are very different
processes which serve very different ends. Perhaps photography is coming of
age.

Best wishes - Jon