Re: Interactivity and process

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 14:20:55 -0600

I think one of the aspects of alt-photo is that in general it is quite
primative technically. This in a sense adds a considerable amount to its
"interactivity" inviting the practitioners to interact quite far down the
technical food chain as it were.

Huh?

Here's another way to explain this. Most alt-photo process could be
reasonably thought of as 15th Century processes. Yeah really! No they
didn't do gum prints in 1470, but they had on hand all of the technology
infrastructure to do so. If you had a couple of savvy people sit down with
Leonardo Da Vinci and explained the principles of optics and the camera --
he was pretty far along on that already. And then explained wet plate
collodion printing and the manufacture of the materials needed, and showed
him how to make gum prints, albumen prints or a host of others, he could
have quite easily have done so using tools and materials available to him.
in his day. Polaroid, or digital art would be only mystical mumbo jumbo.

I think we could push the date back a little further, but Leonardo's time
seems comfortable for this supposition.

Now just think of all of those missed photo ops in history. Washington at
Valley Forge, the beheading of Charles I, the Boston Teaparty... wow.

--Dick Sullivan

t 08:19 AM 6/15/98 +0000, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
>Greetings-
>
>This is an interesting thread! I can remember when it would not have been
>tolerated here (too much "theory").
>
>It seems to me what you are discussing is the difference between the
>"explanatory" or the "descriptive" vs. the "reflective."
>
>The former (it seems to me) is a process that amplifies and perpetuates
>something already largely known; the latter is used as a tool to discover
>something unrealized. The one underwrites and makes our world more
>concrete, the other enters us into a dialogue that deepens and broadens -
>it is something inherently expansive.
>

>Here are some ramdom, truncated, thoughts and quotes, perhaps of interest
>(authors noted where they appear in my notes):
>

>* Hugo Murstenberg - "It is as if the outer world were woven into our mind
>and were shaped not through its own laws, but by the acts of our attention."
>
>* "...these metaphors *allude* to meaning, but do not *denote* meaning."
>
>* "...its function is found in its capacity to insinuate rather than quote."
>
>* "...there is far more to truth than just a succession of facts."
>
>* Robert Sardello -"Life has been usurped by the factual."
>
>* Robert Bosnack - "A dream is a happening in space, an articualtion of
>space."
>
>* Henry Moore - "I am not interested in the expression of beauty, but in
>the power of expression."
>
>* Emmet Gowin - "We never do anything really good, intentionally!"
>
>I am signing of the list for a couple of weeks with these thoughts. I send
>you all kind thoughts in the meanwhile....
>
>Jon

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe
NM 87506