Re: New chrysotypes

Francesco Curcio (msepa.fcurcio@ntt.it)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:51:43 -0700

John Rudiak wrote:

> The final coating solution contains 0.15M gold. If you put 2ml on an
> 8X10, it has 0.118 grams of the gold chloride. An ounce of gold
> chloride (It sure depends on where you buy it and how much of it) from a
> chemical supply house is about $900. ( I am posting this to the list in
> case anyone out there has a good source of gold chloride, B&S only
> lists a 5% soln which is not strong enough) 0.15 divided by 28 times
> $900 equals $4.92 per 8X10 print, for the gold. While this is certainly
> not cheap, when compared to what a custom 8X10 cibachrome would cost if
> you had a decent lab make one for you, it is a bargain. (especially
> since it won't look like a plastic place mat)
>
> John

I remember that Mike Ware announced in his web site a new formulation for
printing with gold (New Chrysotype), but didn't give details on it
(I admit I haven't been visiting this site recently, though),
apparently because he was still calibrating the process (one of his
Chrysotypes was also reproduced in Ag+ Photographic #7, 1995).

One year ago in the B&S site a page was dedicated to an adaptation
of Ware's method (ever published?) proposed by John Rudiak,
employing in the formula the "disodium salt of 3,3'-thiodiproprionic acid
([CAS 111-17-1], known in England as 3,3'-thiodipropanoic acid)"

I have never been able to find this salt (or acid) anywhere in chemicals
suppliers' catalogs, including B&S if I'm right.

Does anybody know if Ware has given further details on his method?

John, are you always suggesting the formulae containing the above,
exoteric salt?

Francesco Curcio

Milano Italy