Re: Toner

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:19:01 -0300

At 11:23 PM +0200 98/04/29, Klaus Pollmeier wrote:
>Luis Nadeau schrieb:
>
>> The most archival methods are sepia and selenium toning.
>
>If I remember correctly, recent test at IPI Rochester have shown that a
>polysulfide toning is the best one can do for permanence. Selenium

For films. I never got a straight answer from them regarding their
Silverlock produts for conventional films (non microfilms) and papers. It
is quite obvious that theory and science are extremely poor at determining
what will improve the permanence of a silver image. E.g., "gold" toners
work as well or better without gold and platinum toners *reduce* the
stability of at least some silver papers, etc. Every paper, film, and the
many ways they can be processed would have to be tested regularly as
manufacturers keep changing their coating formulas to "improve" their
products, as we all know...

>wasn't very good in their tests. They sell or have others sell "IPI
>Silverlock", which shall be used for film, but can also be used for
>papers. I haven't used it yet so I can't tell how big the colour shift
>(towards brown) will be with paper.
>
>For a long time AGFA recommended their "VIRADON" toner for enhanced
>permanence, which, I think, is a thiocarbamide toner.
>
>What old P.O.P. prints tell us, it seems as if gold toning plus

POP prints are a very different kettle of fish.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/