Re: Inkjet Printer opinions?

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:39:08 -0400

At 4:09 PM 98/03/18, TERRY KING wrote:
>Message text written by Luis Nadeau

>When we had the Richard Ingle prints from 5 x 4 b & w negs on display at
>Focus on Imaging, in the Hands-On Pictures display, the results on
>Fabriano 5 from an Epson 3000 were so stunning that people thought that
>the prints were gravures or platinums.
>
>Does Luis mean that he would buy a print or a printer ? If the print fades
>run off another one then you can enjoy the results while waiting for the
>technology to catch up.

I'd certainly would never buy such a print and I don't know anyone of my
museum customers that would, except maybe a couple with more money than
brains. There is an awful lot of art -old and new- on the market and there
is plenty to choose from that won't disappear in a few months.

When I am interviewed about my research and publishing activities, there is
one question that always comes up. Looking at the pile of books I have
written they go: "What made you do so much work on permanent processes and
why are you so concerned/obsessed about the permanence of your prints?"

The answer is simple. I'm a perfectionist who is never happy with his first
print(s) and to this date the processes that give me the images I want are
all complicated and time consuming. If I know that my prints will fall
apart in a few months I will lose all interest in making them in the first
place. That's just me.

Others may buy a new type of house that they know will fall apart
3 years from now, thinking that they will simply buy another one until the
construction technology improves, but that's not for me. In my 40s, I now
realize that I'll never live long enough to do half the things I'd like to
do in this life, let alone redoing the halfassed work I did in the past...

Luis Nadeau
Fredericton, NB, Canada