Re: water

Joseph Portale (jportale@pimacc.pima.edu)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:01:34 +0000

Hello,

I use "purfied water" for my salted paper and home silver gelatine
processes without any problems. I use to use tap water. The tap water
silver solution throw down a precipitate (probably silver chloride) from
the salts and minerals found in the city water. I do not find this with
purefied water. Although, I really do not see any difference in my salted
paper or gelatine prints between the two different waters, the black sludge
on the bottom of the bottle bothered me (we all have our pet peeves). I
would warn that if you are doing silver processes, beware of heavily
chlorinated water. The chlorine will bleach your image excessively and
possibly wash it away.

I have only tinkered with pt/pd, so I can't say how important using
distilled water is to these processes.

good luck,

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ