Re: Cranes paper

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:05:31 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Gary Auerbach wrote:
> I have been using this paper for p/p prints for eight years now. It
> has a beautiful surface finish. It is ecru in color, very warm.
> the watermark is a bother, and I sift thru sheets to get a sheet that
> is clear in the crucial area of my prints.
>
> I kind of like that my paper is identifiable. Makes it authentic
> Auerbach printed on Cranes. Kind of like Edward Curtis printed
> on Van Gelder. Oh well, maybe someday. My only complaint is that it
> is only available in 8 1/2 x 11.

Gary, It isn't clear to me from your message which paper you're talking
about, but if you mean Crane's Crest it is -- or used to be -- available
in large sheets, tho where you'd get it I don't know. There used to be a
place in the back of a schlock tchotchka store at 494 Broadway called "Gem
paper." You could go in there, walk through the flocked T-shirts,plastic
sun visors and piles of flip flops & enter this incredible storehouse of
paper in shoals, pile on pile of odd lots like the great wall of China
after an earthquake. You'd uncover some "gem" & old Gabe would cut it to
suit your heart's desire on the "guillotine," the batch costing about $5.
I remember getting a box of 100% rag business envelopes for $5, and a ream
of Strathmore rag-content paper about the same price, also a fine heavy
cartridge paper I still hoard some of, etc. etc. One of my last purchases
was the Crane's Crest, about 20" by 30".

In the early 80s, I guess it was, rents in the area soared to $26 a foot
(probably double that now), Gabe retired, moved to Florida, & I heard
died.

So who would have & cut up that paper now? Macaliece, a paper distributor
on West Houston St, supposedly incorporated Gem Paper, but not much real
use & few bargains. Still, if you're serious about getting the Crest in
larger size, you might start inquiries there -- or, even better, call that
internal phone # Dick Sullivan has. HOWEVER, before doing that, check a
sheet to see if you really can use it. Those watermarks are the pits.

Meanwhile -- HELLO? Are you still there???? Isn't anyone going to tell me
why, what I shall now call "Cranes Cover" (so you know what I mean) is
popular for platinum printing... Please?

Someone is hiding something?

Judy