Re: Names, names...

Sandy King ()
Wed, 22 January 1997 11:43 PM

>On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Judy wrote:
>

>But that's not why I'm writing. I'm writing to point out that while we
>are splitting hairs about is/is not silver, why/because iron and so forth,
>the opportunity to point out that bromoil and carbro (among others I
>suppose) originate with silver bromide paper has been completely
>overlooked.

I thought I made that point some time back as one of the reasons why
non-silver did not seem like a good substitute for alternative. Many of my
carbros do not merely originate with silver bromide paper, but are in fact
pigment images over ryoung@chicoma.la.unm.edu (or in combination) with bromide images.

John Rudiak's suggestion of renaissance does not make it with me either,
for the same reason classical seems to miss the mark, i.e., it is simply
too strongly identified with a period in time and with already exisiting
art forms. Worse yet, folks on this list seem to have rather strange
concepts about relationships of time. John wrote:

> How about renaissance processes?
> According to the dictionary it not only relates to a specific period in
> art, somewhat before the processes we are concerned with . . .

Somewhat before to be sure! About 500 years before.

This all reminds me of the thread we had now more than a year or so ago on
Leonardo da Vinci and Medieval Photography. Now that should really have
been Renaissance photography.

Sandy King