IRIS question

David Mendelsohn ( eyesite@davidm.com)
Sun, 12 January 1997 1:21 PM

Harriet Thompson wrote:

>I for one (and probably several on the alt-photo list, too) would be very
>interested in how you work out the IRIS printing of your images. Would you
>consider posting something akin to progress reports to the list?
>
>Good luck.

Harriet and All,

Be glad to let you know the results. I tend to travel alot, and the reports
might be a bit sporadic, but stay tuned.

I received, as a private email package, the following info. from Dan
McKinney. I learned alot and thought those in the group with
any interest might benefit from seeing it. I am reposting with his
permission............

Elvis is Everywhere,

David

Dan wrote:

There are basically 3 sets of inks floating around that are commercial.

1. The original IRIS Graphic Arts which still has the largest color
gamut. Coupled with the glossy "thin" paper, you get teh sharpest,
drop-dead color. Remember the IRIS is a fancy match print machine for
traditional pre-press proofing and was NEVER intended for what we are
doing with it.

2. IRIS sensed there was an art market and they were getting an
unintetional "black eye" over the terrible light fastness so they
itnroduced the Industrial Design Inks which were more light fast but has
horrible color gamut. Coupled with the WC papers teh additional dot gain
or spread just muddied up eveything and created blah prints.

3. Enter a renagade chemist in England who understands the molecules,
etc. ILABS in the states imports and markets the inks. They work fine
in IRIS printers after rebuilding the color tables, etc. Also the
coatings for the paper started to come out and voila we now have a media
we can work with. Gram Nash uses these techniques and my printer has
been to the same workshops with him so I know I have the cutting edge
dope here.

OK lets see how much techno-babble you can tolerate. The ILABS inks on a
100% Rag, 100% acid free paper like the LEIGE will last CONSERVATIVELY 25
years exposed to the following duty cycle.

450 LUX light intensity
12 hours on ; 12 hours off
25 years

Of course these numbers come from the standard light aging acceleration
tests. For comparison a well lit office is 70 LUX. Light coming thru a
window and stiking a surface indirectly but very bright is 200 LUX.
Light striking directly but coming in thru a window and recieving some
filitering by trees moving wrt, will get up to 400 LUX.

Another test is that a IRIS Graphic Arts ink set will last 3 days of
direct sun exposure in South Carolina in July. The ILABS inks show no
fading with direct exposure since July.

I hope tou find this info helpful and if you are gearing up to print your
portflio I can save you and your friend a BUNCH of agonoy if you want my
learning curve info.

Dan

David Mendelsohn
------------------------