[Alt-photo] Re: gum tip

Christina Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Mon May 6 14:24:10 UTC 2013

Loris,
Yes, I was quite surprised by this eraser tip. I have never tried it and don't know why it works! If I want to remove a gum layer it has been with the Scotch Brite pad (this kind of dark green scratchy 1/4" thin pad).

I always learn from my students. They ask me questions all the time I have no answers for and I tell them to find out for me! I used to worry that I didn't have enough time to teach them everything I wanted them to know but have since found out that left to their own devices they will make beautiful discoveries I can never imagine. The only common denominator--the ONLY one--I have found to exist with my students who do the best gum work is time. The old Nike slogan of "Just Do It." That's why I find workshops really helpful, e.g. the Photographer's Formulary. There are no distractions and one can work on gum from 9AM to 9PM all week long, while being fed. No life worries, just gum printing. I figure about 60 hours of solid work. Wouldn't it be cool if college could be organized like this???

I got a funny lesson in "just doing it" though, the other day while making a casein print. I had used some sodium carbonate in a tray of water to speed along a recalcitrant print, and decided to add some very hot water to help it even further. The whole layer, with the alkalinity and hot water, whooshed off! So I imagine that would be an even quicker trip with a gum print being that gum is much less hardy than casein. I use hot water development with casein all the time but never have used the two in combination. The good thing: I didn't waste paper, just dried it and used it again.

FofO prints coming along nicely! 17 images, 51 negatives, red and yellow layers so far. I have a time schedule of Wednesday to finish 10 so I'm quite...inspired...or perhaps a forced death march.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com