[Alt-photo] Re: DAS

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 23 02:29:32 UTC 2013

Kees,

I went ahead to try to measure the amount of UV transmitted through
some of these sensitizers+gelatin.

I used a UV exposure unit that exposes gum dichromates in 4-6
minutes, and cyanotypes in about 10-12 minutes. I placed a UV sensor
under a glass slide coated with these emulsions -pigment free.

For roughly the same film thickness of gelatin+sensitizer, I found
that DAS is a much stronger UV absorber at 6% of dried gelatin than
potassium dichromate at 30% of dried gelatin. In fact, only about 14%
of UV at 365 nm can get through the DAS+gelatin film vs
PotDich+gelatin. Significantly more UV passed through Ferric ammonium
citrate/Gelatin than either of these. Even after full exposure
(curves were plotted), the UV transmitted through the DAS+gelatin was
still much less at about about 16% of the PotDich+gelatin.

I am thinking that this strong UV blocking ability of DAS would limit
the depth to which the gelatin could harden to produce a relief. It
would also suggest a more compressed scale.

Peter Friedrichsen