[alt-photo] artificial aging of PT/PD prints & helpful info

Du Boise Kim krd at photoartsimaging.com
Tue Feb 14 17:57:04 GMT 2012

Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the list (again), and a photographic materials conservator with a private practice in south MS.  I have also printed gum, cyanotypes, and taught an "experimental" course in my former role as a photography professor.   I have enjoyed over the past few weeks reading all the information in the list.

There was a request via my specialty group's list from a grad student which I felt would be best put to this group for some suggestions.  She wants to "artificially age some deliberately poorly processed PT/PD prints to induce staining".  What type of staining is unclear; it was a short request.  I feel it is for a study or project being performed (by her?) at the preservation center she attends.

Does anyone have any information or know of resources that I could send to her?  Do I need more information from her to get an idea of the staining she wants to achieve?

I am also writing up info on our association's wiki for the Photographic Materials Specialty Group.  If anyone would be willing to contribute to good information or would be available to verify some of the info I find as to longevity & other issues related to conservation of the various older processes, I would be grateful.  I would  list you & your website as a link in the articles.  Book references are also acknowledged & gratefully accepted.  If you are interested in this type of help to folks that may have to conserve yours or other's prints, please contact me off-list or on-list.

Any help for either question would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

Kim R. Du Boise, Conservator
PhotoArts Imaging Professionals, LLC