[alt-photo] Re: tintype

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Sat Nov 6 15:55:51 GMT 2010

Cor wrote:

>I am not buying this, all the stuff I have read have never mentioned
>this (I would be gladly corrected by you if you have scientific
>references), and my own experience tells me that development is
>extremly fast, an overexposed plate pops up in just 1-2 seconds
>after covered by developper..granted it might be surface development
>only, do not know that.
>
>Also fixing with fresh standard rapid fix shows that the completly
>unexposed parts are visually fixed in 20-30 seconds, another in 30
>seconds are added for safety, leaving a very clear collodion layer
>in the (unexposed)  deep shadows.

If you search the conservation literature, you will find a number of
references questioning the archivality of thiosulfate-fixed collodion
images.  I may have several of the papers around here somewhere, but
if I wanted them I'd do a literature search rather than trying to
find them.  And yes, the development is all on the surface (several
conservation articles present electron microscope sections of
collodion photos that show this very clearly), because by the time
development occurs the developer cannot penetrate the collodion very
well or very far.  For this same reason, neither can the fixer -- and
therein lies the problem.

Feel free to use thiosulfate, and I understand that quite a few
current practitioners do.  But as I said before, it won't be known if
it really did the job until we are long dead.  (Perhaps not such a
bad thing, actually -- IMO, relatively few photographs deserve to
survive for centuries.)  The collodion negatives, prints, ambrotypes,
and tintypes I made starting in the late '60s are all doing fine so
far (all fixed in KCN).

Best regards,

etienne