[alt-photo] Re: Paper Negatives

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 10 04:15:18 GMT 2010

Thanks, Geof.  Interesting.  I get that not everyone is "wedded to
computers" for negatives.  I also use LF in-camera negatives, but when
I want something much larger (than the LF cameras/film I'm willing to
lug around), making digital negatives has been nothing short of an
absolute dream.  I personally can't imagine going back into a
traditional darkroom to make negatives.  I was never a fan of the
darkroom anyway, but I remember making enlarged negatives (the old-
fashioned way) as way too much work, way too frustrating, not all that
inexpensive, taking up too much time, and the worst-- just too damn
dark in that darkroom.   In the end, it may be less expensive to do it
that way (not having to purchase a printer, etc), but I always feel
that (my) time is worth money, too.

I have used paper negatives, in camera, which were commercial RC photo
papers, and when used to make a positive-- those final images were
definitely much softer than what I would have gotten had I just used
film (of any type). Of course, those positives were also contacted
onto commercial photo paper, not on any transparency/film material.
So I don't think that soft look is limited solely to "non-photo paper
material."  Then again, maybe sharpness is relative.