U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: New home for list needed. AboutF295

Re: New home for list needed. AboutF295

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: New home for list needed. AboutF295
  • From: Jean Daubas <jean.daubas@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:30:41 +0100
  • Comments: alt-photo-process mailing list
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:mime-version:content-type:x-priority:x-msmail-priority:importance:x-mailer:x-mimeole;bh=1rdqMMjLau6sEA8Wjx5avCIQvz+IxiYAGbrQ+fLPYO4=;b=lND956TF0XUZm4FqA9UWnYmtpnial0PSMU5s1mc+yHBTjyr+OESUAuw+TtMNPBWpgLzKBvO7FR+yKEzjzIxuZNeTrAaFupK7p+7UWwl5OxTAEyiwtHbKgujATaSikVdqn2s7fSDk63/XLe3Fwdm/1ce9MWMek+fcCqbu8fRSXI0=

Hi Tom,

I really do appreciate all the work you've done with setting up F 295 but as you write, it is very much organised and categorised which undoubtedly is "efficient" but which , in the same time, has taken away a lot of the fluidity, spontaneity, friensdship, humour we had developed for many years before on the classic e-mail traditional "pinhole discussion list". I can tell you that I am far less involved in pinhole exchanges since pinhole discussion list has vanished. F 295, which you manage very well lacks this "community/family" feeling we had before. It is not only my opinion but the opinion of a lot of pinholists with whom I keep in touch or meet in Europe when they come. Of course we are all members of F295 but it does not feel the same at all.  And , I may ensure you that the WPPD (Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day)  would have never existed  if we had not been having this easy spontaneous communication and freedom through the discussion list (I am one of the founders of the event and all the initial founders share this point of view!)
in the same way, I would never have been so interested by the alt-proc list if it had been too much structured : what I like there is the way  nothing is regular  :  various personalities expressing various opinions, no competition, just people experimenting and sharing successes as well as failures. On alt photo list I feel exactly like spending good time with friends in a "café", being sometimes more interested, sometimes less interested by what they say but feeling always curious to see and listen to other people experiments and sometimes more personal feelings...

it's why I'm really wishing that our group may still go on in this "light" informal way; I would not like us to become too much "didactic"; the alt process world is by essence an universe for sensitivity, expressivity, freedom; it's why we practice in that field; so, let's take care not to transform that in a too much "computerised organisation!
just my 2 cents (of Euro !!!)

Alternative cheers from France
Jean
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: New home for list needed.

First let me offer Gordon thanks for hosting the list for so many years! What a gift he helped give the world. And also say that I'm sorry to hear about his job loss. Sadly the economy is still shedding jobs at an alarming rate.....

While I understand that this list was/is delivered directly to email inboxes which some find more conducive to dialogue, just a reminder that F295.org has a vibrant and robust online forum system (with image support) already in place with categories for many of the processes and topics discussed here - all are welcome. F295, like alternativephotography.com is a labor of love. While we have occasional member drives to raise money to help defray cost all proceeds go directly back into funding the website, events, supplies etc.

Best,
Tom