U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: printer recommendations? also "printer" thread, Vivera inks,agfa

Re: printer recommendations? also "printer" thread, Vivera inks,agfa CopyJet

FWIW, I am in the middle of calibrating a 1400 with the Claria inks right now. When I ran the QTR ink separation page, the inks all blocked quite a bit of UV. The difficulty is that anything over about 60% ink on most of the colors will slide right off the Pictorico. But 60% black ink has a UV density of 3.55! I would say that blocks quite a bit of UV.

"Let it be said that Epson makes really good inks. For the most part they block ultra violet light (UV) much better than aftermarket inks but they are also four or five times the cost. At $80-$100 a fill it gets expensive quite quickly to anyone on a limited budget such as starving artist wannabe like myself. Apparently, some of the "newer" Epson inks (the R1400?) don't block ink like the old Epson inks, this could be a potentially big problem for some people who are trying to make digital negatives using their current methods.