U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | an infant got x-rayed (was Re: Pablo Picasso's sculptures got x-rayed)

an infant got x-rayed (was Re: Pablo Picasso's sculptures got x-rayed)

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: an infant got x-rayed (was Re: Pablo Picasso's sculptures got x-rayed)
  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@silvergrain.org>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:32:52 -0500 (EST)

Some people probably remember my previous postings of x-ray
photography. Yesterday's news went like this:

    Baby is sent through X-ray machine at LAX

    A woman places her month-old grandson in a bin for
    carry-on items. Doctors later determine he did not get a
    dangerous dose of radiation.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-baby20dec20,0,4869996.story

(or try http://tinyurl.com/y99935 if above is broken. also
check page 2 for video.)

I don't know if any journalist got hold of the x-ray image of
that infant, but for those who are curious, this should help:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/dreamanatomy/images/1200%20dpi/Z3.jpg
(or try this: http://tinyurl.com/ymogu7 if above is broken)

Look at this link for caption:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/dreamanatomy/da_g_Z-3.html

Another curious note is this:

    In the several seconds the baby spent in the machine, the
    doctor added, he was exposed to as much radiation as he
    would naturally get from cosmic rays — or high energy from
    outer space — in a day. (quoted from LA Times link above)

Is this really true? Then what's the point of asking for hand
inspection of films? (if it's carried on anyway) The bar graph
in the article (as well as the video) indicates that the
radiation dose of the x-ray luggage screener is 1 mREM and
this indeed is not that much.